6.09.2011

Fear: The Good & Bad

Fear is a curious thing. It manifests itself in many different forms. Fear is good can be beneficial, but it also can be very detrimental. Fear can motivate you or it can plant doubt in your mind so deep and so profound that it slowly chokes out all confidence and conviction. The key is not letting the latter happen.

I've recently become aware at the crippling grasp fear has on me sometimes, and I hope that by acknowledging this fact I make the first steps towards changing it. It's those whispers in the back of my mind that turn into shouts. What if I don't get in? What if I'm not cut out to be a doctor? What if this relationship isn't worth all the sweat and tears? What if one day he opens his eyes and decides there's someone better? Am I crazy: Peru, alone, for a whole month?

Fear of failing. Fear of the unknown. Fear of inadequacy. Acknowledge them. Address them. Pray through them & overcome them. That's what I'm trying to do.



Fear can be a catalyst, an instigator, a motivator. It's all about deciding how to use it. I recently finished Michelle Au's book "This Won't Hurt a Bit" (we all know how I feel about this book) where she briefly touches on the topic of fear. Here's my favorite bit (yes, another quote): "Fear is a stimulus to be better. Fear protects you from hubris. Fear is a guard against complacency..."

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I know the feeling, and yes, we are going to talk fear over making crafts and wine. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. someone once asked me "are you going to let fear stop you from reaching your goals?" -well of course not!!

    so with that I have decided to always do my best daily and with that in mind, i've been able to let go of a lot of regret and not create anymore. You can do whatever it is that you want to. do NOT let the voices in your head control your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Got anything to say? I'd love to hear from you!